Though we already utilize the use of some Web 2.0 applications in the previous years like Youtube, Khan Academy and Discussion Boards (Engrade), I still feel inadequate. This year I want to make a change by not killing myself with a lot of work but to tweak some of the practices that I used to do inside the classroom.
I made an addition to the family of Web 2.0 that I am using in the classroom.
Blog
In my 1st blog, I mentioned that I want my students to start blogging. And, yes! We did it one step at a time. On the 1st week of 2nd quarter – their task is to create their blog account, and this week (which is the 2nd week) they posted their 1st blog entry – their blogs will be updated in a weekly basis.
Achieve3000
Mount Carmel School is utilizing the use of a powerful, personal learning which is the Achieve3000. A web-based application that is a cross-curricular. I admit that I am hesitant to use this because I was thinking it is not related to my subject (Digital Art and Web Development). As I explore the Achieve3000, I came across with a lot of articles related to my subject. Asking them spend at least 10 minutes every other day by reading articles would not hurt –thus it would improve their reading and writing proficiency – vital part of developing critical thinking skills.
Change is hard
It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad. - C. S. Lewis
When I implement the use of the above mentioned application, as expected, not everyone are happy. For some it is a wonderful change, but it as an extra load for others.
This scenario would lead us back to the article: Why Digital Natives Need Help With Technology (by Anthony Rebora). We are teaching the digital natives, they know how to use techonology but when you ask them to work online, not everyone is ready to apply their knowledge and skills. In the end, they will reap the fruit of their labor. Being ready for 21st century learning. They have a choice as C.S. Lewis mentioned – be hatched or go bad.
I was telling my students that I will now have a new hobby –reading blogs and they all laughed.
Pitfalls of Web 2.0 applications
When my students posted their 1st blog entry, I asked them to answer the question “what is the drawback of blogging?”
- Internet connection. We need good internet connection so that we can be online.
- Comment/s. Students are afraid of receiving not so good comments from other people. I told them it is part of life. We cannot please everybody. But it is good to receive feedbacks.
- Identity theft. I instructed them that they need to be cautious as to what they are posting on the web. Information and media skills can be utilized in evaluating which site is real and which one is fake and creating for phishing.
Below are the pitfalls of Web 2.0 form Davina Shah, ICT
- Information overload. Too much information is daily posted by many people with different thought. This creates confusion for the readers and the quality of the content is not reliable.
- Freedom to post views and comments provides good opportunities for competitors and rivals to post negative comments.
- Too many fake ID’s and spammers.
- Forgeries and hackers commit crimes.
- The internet page could crash, and many people are reliant on the internet for information.
- Also requires people to have technology devices and internet connection.
- Content quality can be slow since the authenticity and exactness cannot always be trusted or verified.
Do you trust Web 2.0 applications? Can we trust Web 2.0 applications? My answer is not all Web 2.0 applications. With the abovementioned pitfalls we must prepare not only ourselves but as well as our students to be information and media literate.
These apps tend to be free so should we look to these kinds of solutions before looking to purchase a product? For example, schools might spend about $80 to get Microsoft Office on each computer, but Google Docs is free.
Yes, I am an advocate of opensource. When I first came to Mount Carmel School upon hearing that Title V funding is no longer available, I faced a lot of challenges. That is when I introduced my students to use opensource from Office package to Drawing and Photo Editing.
With that you will have a peace of mind, not thinking of what if software police would find out that you are using pirated software. Without the appropriate budget, the school need not to worry about purchasing commercial software.
Although, the features of an opensource may not be as many as commercial software offers still the basic tools are available for students to master.
The Power and Peril of Web 3.0
o Which “leap” towards a semantic web do you think is the most simple? Most difficult?
The leaps are simple like 1. Use of Intelligent tagging; 2. Group intelligently tagged information into ontologies; 3. 3. Use shared ontologies and databases. The hard part that I can see is the availability of technology, since it is called as Semantic Web which is based on AI (artificial intelligence), developers can come up with algorithms but the question is –do we have the technology that can cater databases and queries that will be made?
o What causes of concern does this bring up for you? (Be more specific than “privacy”)
Privacy Issue & Identity Theft. While the threat of child predators still obviously exists, the advocacy group ConnectSafely now maintains that, “young people are far more likely to be harmed by peers or the consequences of their own online behaviour than by adult criminals”. Today, when students post personal details on Twitter or tag friends on Instagram, they are broadcasting intimate revelations that can never be withdrawn.
Web 2.0 Tool
Trello is a project management tool that allows members of a team or a group to work with minimal supervision. How? The team/group leader can drop a task card for each member. Anyone who is assigned to a particular task can update the group leader by replying with the use of the card. Members of the group can see how each one works on their respective tasks. See Web 2.0 Tools -- CNMIPSS Advanced Computer Applications or Click here.
Teaching ToolEquipped with information and media skills –it can help students work independently. I am an advocate of Project-based learning, doing so, we are not only teaching them about the content knowledge but preparing them for real world challenges.
We all hope that our students would pursue higher studies after high school yet that is not always the case for some of our students. Basic skills in organizing and setting priorities must be mastered so that they will be ready to work in any of their chosen field like what Trello offers. I know for a fact that if they are trained as a teamplayer while still young they will not have hard time getting along with their colleagues in the future.
Learning ToolWith Trello students will have a first hand experience in working independently, organizing people or events, prioritizing and accomplishing tasks, and recording – all of this will be done with minimal supervision. Acquiring basic management skills how to take the initiative would always put them to an advantage.
Good Job Filmah. I enjoyed reading your post on the learning tool you chose, Trello. I will try it once I get a chance. It is nice how it's free and students may get a chance to learn how to work independently by prioritizing and accomplishing various tasks.
ReplyDelete